2021 CONSTRUCTION AWARDS
Presented by Hayward Lumber
In person event at The Carriage Museum in Santa Barbara on Friday, October 15th, 2021
We had an incredible time with you all at our in person awards event with great drinks and food. It was so nice to see everyone in person to mingle, laugh, connect and have fun. You all work so hard and we are so glad you were able to have a good time. We loved seeing you in ‘Suit Up, Boot Up’ western wear. It was such a fun theme and went so well with our venue at the Carriage Museum. Thank you to everyone who helped make the event such a success. Thank you to all of our members who entered projects in the various categories. Your hard work, skill, and expertise shows. We are so proud to have you part of our association.
Congratulations to all of our winners! We are floored at the talent you have and projects you have done. What an incredible group we have!
Thank you our members who submitted projects! Entrants (in no particular order):
Utt Construction | DMHA Architecture & Design| Matt Shaw Concrete | DD Ford Construction | Gordon-Fiano, Inc. | EcoLawn Santa Barbara | Wilson Environmental Contracting, Inc. | Lynch Construction | Larsen Fine Homes | Steven Hanson Landscaping | Allen Construction | Arroyo Seco Construction | Frank Schipper Construction | Taylor & Syfan | Central Coast Audio Visual | AAA Development Inc. | Jack ‘N Tool Box, Inc. | Silver Leaf Landscapes | Deborah Shaw Restoration & Landscape, Inc.
Thank you to all of our sponsors for your support! We truly could not do this without you.
Title Sponsor: Hayward Lumber | Industry Professional: Action Roofing and Action Energy | Major Award Sponsor: Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery and Miele | Major Award Sponsor: American Riviera Bank | Award Category Sponsor: Frank Schipper Construction
Congratulations to all of our winners!
Award Category – Sponsored By| Winner Company and Project Name
- New Kid on the Block -Landscape & Hardscape presented by Hayward | EcoLawn SB for Modern Oasis on the Riviera
- New Kid on the Block – New Construction presented by Frank Schipper Construction | Manifest Building + Dovetail Projects for Mission Canyon Contemporary
- Residential Remodel Construction Cost over $500,000 | Taylor & Syfan Consulting Engineers for Shoreline Residence
- Landscape & Hardscape | Steve Hanson Landscaping for Japanese Garden
- New Residential Construction Cost up to 1.5 Million | DD Ford Construction for Guest Haven
- New Residential Construction Cost per 1.5 Million | DD Ford Construction for Edgewater Residence
- Outstanding Craftsmanship by a subcontractor system/structural trades | Matt Shaw Concrete for Ricon Ranch
- Outstanding Craftsmanship by at finish trade | Utt Construction for European Rift white oak cabinetry
- New Commercial Construction presented by American Riviera Bank | DMHA Architecture + interior Design for direct relief world headquarters and distribution center
- Unique & Extreme | Steve Hanson Landscaping for Japanese Garden
- Sustainable Building and High Performance | Lynch Construction for Old San Marcos Pass
- Commercial Remodel/Tenant Improvement Construction Cost over 1 Million | Central Coast Audio Visual for Montecito Country Club Audio Visual System
- Members Choice | EcoLawn SB for Modern Oasis on the Riviera
- Industry Professional presented by American Riviera Bank | DMHA Architecture + Interior Design
- Subcontractor of the Year | Matt Shaw Concrete for Ricon Ranch
Builder of the Year presented by Ferguson and Miele | Taylor & Syfan Consulting Engineers for Shoreline Residence
The SBCA is so thankful to have judges from a variety of fields within the building community. Judges have been assigned projects. Projects are kept anonymous with entrants names hidden so the work is judged based on the work itself. The SBCA has carefully planned to have variety of judges on projects to bring different opinions, design eyes, and expertise to the judging. We want to be transparent with entrants and the community. Thank you judges for supporting the SBCA!
Anthony Grubmine | Principal Architect, Harrison Design Santa Barbara | Chair on the City of Santa Barbara’s Historic Landmarks Commission
Garry Oswald | Retired Contractor, 40 years experience | GRD Construction
Laurie Bennett | VP of Arbee Inc. (including Fence Factory and C&W Construction | Board Director for the Ventura County Contractors Association (VCCA) | Past President of National Association of Women In Construction
David Atkin | General Contractor, David Atkin Construction | 3rd Generation Contractor | Board Member with the Ventura County Contractors Association and the Board of Appeals for the Ventura County Fire Department
Melinda Tremblay | Owner & Designer | Rincon Road Design Studio
Robert Ooley, FAIA | Architect, County of Santa Barbara | VP of Government Relations on California Board of the AIA | Author
Kathleen Volpi | County of Santa Barbara Plan Technician
Don Gordon | Retired, Gordon Fiano Inc. | Board of Director, TRADART
Cass Ensberg, FAIA | Architect, Ensberg Jacobs Design | SB County Board of Architectural Review
Lisa Eklund | Building Liaison, EP Consulting | Board Director for the Ventura County Contractors Association (VCCA) | Previously PM, OM, and Construction Manager in the construction field for 25+ years
Dennis Whelan | Architect | AIA Member | Retired UCSB Campus Architect | Manager of the Santa Barbara County Architectural Archival
Thank you to our incredible vendors who provided great food, drinks and service!
Event Photography: Amber Leivo | amberleivo.com/
Charcuterie Appetizers: charcuterdeeandfromagerie.com/
Dinner and servers: www.countrycateringcompany.com
Beer: Buenaveza from Stone Brewing & Standard Ale from MadeWest Brewing Company
Emcee: Drew Wakefield aka ‘Mr. Santa Barbara’ (host of Cork & Fork Radio Show)
AV — Music, Live Stream, Recorded Show: www.gavinroypresents.com
We can’t wait to see you at our next awards event!!
Contest was open to current SBCA general contractor and subcontractor members in good standing. Submissions closed June 30, 2021. Projects substantially completed between January 1, 2019 – January 1, 2021. Contractor must have specialty contractor license if submitting project in subcontractor category. Project must have building permits for scope of work.